Turkey plans 2nd 100-day action plan and makes declarations regarding Syria
Turkey has announced that they will soon launch operations in Syria. Ankara stated that the operations will be lead in regions east of the Euphrates.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced the necessity of action in order to save the territories “from separatist terrorist organizations”. The president added that the strikes are aimed at organized terrorist groups.
The Turkish leader also criticized Washington’s aggressive policies in Syria. He said that the real purpose of American observation points “is not to protect our country from terrorists but to protect terrorists from Turkey.”
Also this week, Erdogan presented a second 100-day action plan. During the first plan, unveiled in August, Ankara committed to resolve different problems in foreign policy, defense, economy, transportation (including the construction of the now functional Istanbul Airport and the Istanbul Canal which is scheduled for completion in 2023), as well as energy, tourism and education. According to the head of state, 340 out of 400 points from the first plan were accomplished.
The Gulen case
Last week, Turkey ordered the arrest of 219 soldiers suspected to have links to Fethullah Gulen, an Islamic preacher who orchestrated the failed coup in 2016.
After long negotiations, the United States might finally agree to extradite Gulen to Turkey. During the G20 summit in Buenos Aires, US President Donald Trump told Erdogan that the issue is being worked out, according to Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu.
Gulen, who lives in the United States, has also appeared on the list of 28 people accused in the murder of Russian Ambassador Andrei Karlov in Ankara.
Macron’s speech during the Yellow vest protests
The Yellow vest protests continue in various countries, some even outside of Europe. French President Emmanuel Macron, who introduced the new unpopular liberal reforms which kicked off the protests, was obliged to make concessions (at least, on a rhetorical level).
On Monday he declared an “economic and social emergency plan.” According to the plan, the French government will increase the minimum wage by 100 euros and offer tax cuts for pensioners and offer an end-of-year bonus to workers.
At the same time, many experts remain skeptical, as the government had already planned some of the measures regardless of the protests, and secondly because the globalists will still find a way to introduce the liberal reforms in future.
The most important result of the protests is Macron’s weakened position in the internal and international arena. As United World suggested previously, it seems that we are witnessing the ghost of 1789.
Read more on the protests with our latest analysis – The Yellow Vests: spontaneous anger or precursor to revolution?